Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The solemn promise of the ring on my finger.






Our civil wedding was solemnized yesterday. May 9, 2011. Judge Rojo from Branch 5(of BC Hall of Justice) officiated the ceremony. I think the wedding rites lasted for a good hour. He first counselled us about SSS pension and contribution, about the law governing retirement pay entitlement even if you worked in a call center, and preparing for old age and not expecting help from your offsprings. His advices did not only constitute the legal aspect of marital life but also practical ways to save married couples of the heartaches of finances or from their kids in the future. He was not corny at all. I love how the counselling was unexpected and really light, and it was FUN.

He then explained the 3 facets of legalities in marriage, our ability to contract, that we came on our own volition, and the legal documents needed for marrying such as the marriage license.

Furthermore, he asked us if we wrote our vows. We didn't, so we asked him that we follow the traditional vows spoken from generations amongst generations. But he took a wedding reading/ promise fom the Bible:
"Do not urge me to leave you or turn back from following you; for where you go, I will go, and where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God.

"Where you die, I will die, and there I will be buried. Thus may the LORD do to me, and worse, if anything but death parts you and me."
Ruth 1:16-17
As J spoke his vow, I wind up in tears. I was surprised too cuz we were laughing the whole time as J promised the judge that he'd give me TLC- and he quipped: tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese, sandwich we had for breakfast. ;p

After the exchanges of wedding vows, Judge Rojo spoke to us again. He read some passages from the Bible about God's supplication. About God not leaving us wanting or lacking of things. About the wife's expectation from the husband w/c is protection and the husband's from the wife- submission. About staying together and about how we export mothers and fathers overseas, leaving a dysfunctional family.

It was beautiful altogether. I couldn't help but feel blessed because God answered my prayers even if I hadn't really mouthed it- through the judge who took presided our civil wedding.

We then had lunch at L Fisher hotel. The gathering was so intimate, we had J's mother(who prayed over the wedding rites before it started) and his half-sister, and his BFF as guests. Lol. I wish my family was there to see it too, but everything was impromptu.

My husband can be a pain in the tush most times, but now I hold on to his vow and the solemn promise of the ring on my finger.

No comments:

Post a Comment

fallen rain. (: